Saturday, October 12, 2013

“I REMEMBER meeting Jyoti Basu for the first time at the undivided Communist Party of India’s national council meeting soon after the party’s Amritsar congress in 1958, when [S.A.] Dange was the chairman. Though I was selected by the party to attend the congress, at the last minute I was assigned to oversee a crucial election campaign at Devikulam [in Idukki district, Kerala]. So, though I could not attend the party congress, I was chosen as a member of the national council. I met Jyoti Basu at the Council meeting. From then on, until his death, we maintained a close relationship and worked together closely as members of the national council, the central committee and other bodies of the Communist party. He was a dear comrade and we shared a warm relationship throughout. For me, his death is all the more painful.” V.S. Achuthanandan, Kerala Chief Minister.


No comments:

Post a Comment